Construction Underway on LR. Wilson Hall, Fitzhenry Studio Completed
The Faculty of Humanities at McMaster is building towards the future of liberal arts education with the construction of two new facilities at the McMaster Westdale campus.
L.R. Wilson Hall
A new liberal arts facility is being constructed on east campus on the former location of Wentworth House. The new L.R. Wilson building is made possible by a $45.5-million investment from the province of Ontario and a $10-million dollar gift from McMaster’s Chancellor L.R. (Red) Wilson. The building will hold a number of new facilities shared between the Faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Social Sciences.
The new building will include:
- Flexible learning classroom space with reconfigurable classroom spaces
- Research spaces and labs
- 350-seat concert hall
- Black box theatre
- Café and student commons
- Outdoor garden
The building will be LEED certified with attention paid to the environmental footprint of the construction and has been architecturally designed to integrate well into the surrounding campus landscape and local Westdale neighborhoods.
Dr. Robert and Andree Rheaume Fitzhenry Studios and Atrium
A newly revitalized and renovated space for the School of the Arts Studio Art Program has been completed on the northeastern side of Togo Salmon Hall facing Stearn Drive. Renovated studio space and an atrium offer new opportunities to students in the Studio Art program and a new way for the public to interact with the artists.
This project was made possible thanks to a $3-million gift from long time supporter of the University and alumnus Robert Fitzhenry. The gift was made in honour of his late wife, Andrée.
- New Atrium space that provides teaching, exhibition and programing space and opportunities for community engagement
- New Flex studio created on 1st floor that provides teaching, presentation and exhibition possibilities
- New Printmaking studio on the 1st floor
- Renovated sculpture studio featuring new ventilation and dust collection, expanded foundry facilities and new ceramics studio area
- General improvement of condition of other studio areas with improved integration of all studio areas
- New North entrance and lobby for the building
- Elevator and washroom facilities
- Improved storage and lighting for Painting studio