Applications are considered once a year, for admission the following September. Applications received by December 20, 2014 will receive the fullest consideration for admission in September 2015.
To apply for admission, follow these steps:
- First, complete the on-line application, found at:
- Once you have completed the on-line application, please e-mail the following documents to the Graduate Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A one- to two-page Statement of Interest in pursuing graduate studies in the Cognitive Science of Language. Include a brief description of any research, teaching, or work experience that is related to your proposed area of concentration, and identify the faculty members whom you would like to work with.
- A writing sample, such as a term paper, thesis chapter, or other example of your academic writing.
- Also arrange to have paper copies mailed directly to the department of the following:
- One official transcript for each university you have attended, sent directly from the issuing institution.
- If English is not your native language, an official copy of your TOEFL or IELTS score, or other evidence of competency in English. The minimum TOEFL (iBT) score is 92 (580 on the paper-based TOEFL test or 237 on the computer-based TOEFL test). The minimum IELTS score is 6.5 overall on the Academic test, with a minimum score of 5.5 in each section.
NB: Applicants from outside Canada should begin the application process as early as possible to allow time to obtain the necessary documents.
Where to send your documents:
Graduate Program Secretary
Department of Linguistics & Languages, TSH 629
1280 Main Street West
Canada L8S 4M2
For more information about graduate studies at McMaster University, please see the School of Graduate Studies website.