Humanities Career Apprenticeship Program
The Humanities Career Apprenticeship Program is an exciting collaboration between McMaster University, Faculty of Humanities and Economic Development, Hamilton. This project is generously supported by the Hamilton Chamber of Commerce and the McMaster Alumni Office.
The program provides one-year, full-time, salary-paid, employment opportunities in Hamilton along with mentorship and networking opportunities for undergraduate Humanities students completing their final year of study in 2020/2021.
Positions will commence in May, 2021 and will continue for 12 consecutive months. There is no fee to participate in this program.
In order to apply for positions under the McMaster Career Apprenticeship Program, students must be:
- undergraduate students registered in the Faculty of Humanities;
- completing their final year of study toward a degree program in the Faculty of Humanities in 2020/2021;
- graduating in Spring 2021;
- eligible to work in Canada for the full duration of the apprenticeship;
- in good financial and academic standing; and,
- are able to commit to 12 consecutive months of full-time employment in Hamilton, starting in May, 2021
Application and Selection Process
Positions will begin to be posted online in December, 2020. Postings will continue to be posted until mid-January 2021,
Eligible students can apply for one or more positions of interest with their resume and cover letter on OSCARplus. Some employers may request additional information, including a writing sample, or project work.
Student Applicant Timeline:
- January 18 – Postings Open for Student Applications
- February 12 – Student Application Deadline
- February 22 – March 12 – Interviews with Selected Students
- March 19 – Student Deadline to Submit Employer Ranking
- March 31 – Selected Students Receive Position Offer(s)
- April 5 – Deadline for Students to Accept Offers
- April 6 – 23 – Student Onboarding Meetings (with McMaster staff)
- May 3 – Placements Commence
Coming Soon: Instructions for how to apply for available positions.
* Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. All applications will be reviewed for accuracy and overall quality. Documents submitted with multiple grammatical errors and/or that contain inaccurate information will be removed.
Tips for Student Success
Although not required, it is strongly recommended that students attend one or more preparation sessions being offered through the Faculty. These sessions will help to ensure that you submit a competitive application that best demonstrates your suitability for the positions that you are interested in.
Students are also able to request support with their applications by filling out an appointment form to meet with the program manager.
Employers will determine which applicants will be selected for an interview.
Once interviews for all positions have taken place, both students and employers will be offered a chance to rank their top three (3) preferred candidates for their position(s).
Once all of the rankings have been gathered, the Faculty will match the applicants with employers based on their preferences.
Recommended Workshop Dates
- September 29, 3:30-4:30 pm Program Information Session
- October 21, 10:30 – 11:30 am – Student preparation session – Resumes
- November 10, 3:30-4:40 pm – Student preparation session – Cover Letters
- November 18, 4:30-5:30 pm – Student preparation session – Resumes
- January 14, 10:30 – 11:30 am – Program Information Session
- January 20, 3:30-4:30 pm – Student preparation session – Resumes
- January 29: 11:30-12:30 pm – Student preparation session – Cover Letters
- February 2: 4:30-5:20 pm – Student preparation session – Interviews
- February 25: 10:30 –11:30 am – Student preparation session – Interviews
Register for one or more of these sessions on OSCARplus > Events
These sessions are open to all students. Register ASAP to secure your spot.
Please direct any questions to
Manager, Career and Experiential Programs