William Renwick completed B. Mus,
and M. Mus. degrees at the University of British
Columbia, following which he took the M. Phil. and Ph.D. degrees in Music
Theory at the City University of New York,
where he specialized in Schenkerian studies under
Carl Schachter, Joel Lester, and Charles
Burkhart. He is Professor of Music Theory in the School of the Arts,
William Renwick is also an organist, composer, and choral director. He
holds the Associate degree of the American
Guild of Organists and the Fellow of the Royal
Canadian College of Organists. He has performed concerts and recitals
throughout the region. In 1999 he served as co-chair of The Canadian
Organ Festival in
Current research project:
· General Editor, Duhamel and
Swanson, Les Traditions du Plain-chant
Occidental/Traditions in Western Plainchant. Proceedings
of the 2009 conference of the Gregorian
Institute of Canada.
· Analyzing Fugue: A Schenkerian Approach, Pendragon Press, 1995. (Reviews in Music and Letters, Notes, Music Analysis, Music Theory Spectrum, and Integral.) Out of print; part of the book is available in preview at Google Books.
· The Contrapuntal Style of Healey Willan. M.Mus. Dissertation, University of British Columbia (1982).
· Analysis Symposium: “Of Time and Eternity: Reflections on "Das alte Jahr vergangen ist" " Journal of Music Theory 2006; 50 (1): 65-76
· “Aspects of Structure in Bach’s F-Minor Fugue, WTC II.” in Structure and Meaning in Tonal Music--A Festschrift for Carl Schachter, Poundie Burstein and David Gagne, Editors, Pendragon Press 2006, 237-245.
· A review of recent music by Nicholas Fairbank for Organ Canada.
· Schenker Analysis Glossary (web version), with David Walker (English and German), 2001. Russian translation published in Очеки и Этюдьґ по Методоогии Музьґаьного Аниза, Б.Т. Плотников (красноярсқ 2002), pp. 271-284.
· David Walker and William Renwick. "Modelling Professional Practice in Music Analysis with Computing." Journal of Music Theory Pedagogy, XIV (2000), 63-74.
· "Schubert's Impromptu in G-flat: A Response to Adam Krims", Canadian University Music Review, XX/2 (2000).
· Music theory articles for The Reader's Guide to Music, Fitzroy Dearborn, 1999.
· "39. Praeludia et Fugen del Signor Johann Sebastian Bach?: The Langloz Manuscript, SBB Mus. ms. Bach P 296", Bach Perspectives 4 (1999), edited by David Schulenberg, 137-158.
· "Bach and the `Old' Musicology", Music Analysis 16 (1997), p. 255.
· "Multi-media Music Instruction Using Toolbook" with David Walker, Proceedings, KlangArt, 1995 (1997).
· "Hidden Fugal Paths: A Schenkerian View of Handel's F Major Fugue (Suite II)", Music Analysis, XIV-1 (March, 1995): 53-71. Translated as "Chemins mystérieux de la fugue: un point de vue schenkérien sur la fugue en fa majeur de la 2e Suite de Händel" in Musurgia IV-2 (1997), 12-24.
· William Crotch "A Subject of Four Notes: William Crotch's Experiment in Motivic Saturation", Music Theory Online, 0.1 (September, 1994).
· "The Changing Role of the Church Musician," The American Organist, XXVII-12 (December, 1993): 82-83.
· "Modality, Imitation and Structural Levels: Bach's Manualiter Kyries from Clavierübung III," Music Analysis, XI-1 (1992): 55-74.
· "CD-Brahms: an Interactive Multimedia Music Analysis Program," with David Walker, Computers in Music Research, IV (fall, 1992): 45-75.
· "Structural Patterns in Fugue Subjects and Fugal Expositions," Music Theory Spectrum, XIII-2 (1991): 197- 218.
· "Brackets and Beams in Schenker's Graphic Notation," Theoria: Historical Aspects of Music Theory, III (1988) (published in 1989): 73-85.
· "Modal Structure and Formal Design in Iso Chidori," Hogaku, II-1 (Winter, 1985): 21-63.
Four Pieces for Organ by
· Cantico del Sole, Anthem for SSAA choir, Canadian Computer Printing, 2003.
· Dear Father, Let My Mind, Anthem for SSAATTBB choir, Canadian Computer Printing, 2002.
The Shining King of Truth, Anthem for
· Sonata Antiqua for Solo Oboe, Canadian Computer Printing, 1999.
· Twas in the Moon of Wintertime for Double Choir, Canadian Computer Printing, 1999.
· What a Friend We Have in Jesus, for Double Choir, Canadian Computer Printing, 2000.
· Blessed be Our God and Father, for SATB and organ. New Edition, UtReMi Edition, 2009.
· Processional on "Praise, My Soul, the King of Heaven" for organ, Canadian Computer Printing, 2000.
Descant to "Lord of the Dance", Organ
· Five Chorales for Organ, New edition, Fairbank Music Publishing, 2007.
· He is Risen, Easter Anthem for SATB, New edition, UtReMi Edition, 2009.
· Jesu, the Very Thought of Thee, Two-part anthem, UtReMi Edition, 2009.
· Descants for Favourite Hymns, UtReMi Edition, 2009.
· This night of nights. Duet for alto and baritone, UtReMi Edition, 2010.
· CD-Brahms: an interactive CD-ROM program in music analysis (with David Walker). (Based on my translation of Heinrich Schenker, "Brahms: Variations and Fugue on a Theme of Handel, Op. 24," Der Tonwille, IV Jahrgang, Heft 2/3 (Heft 8/9 der Gesamtfolge) (April-September, 1924): 3-46, with added introduction, commentary, notes, MIDI and CD-ROM performances, and glossary.) (Marketed directly through McMaster University, 1993).